Hot Cross Scones
Yield: 8 to 10 scones • Preparation: 15 minutes • Bake: 18 to 20 minutes
Write a review
- 1½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cold butter
- ½ cup coarsely chopped golden raisins
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, allspice, nutmeg, and sugar, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins, stirring to combine.
- Combine cream and vanilla. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring lightly with a spoon until dough comes together. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.)
- Using a ¼-cup scoop, drop dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until edges are light brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and milk, stirring until mixture is smooth. (Mixture should be somewhat thick. If necessary, add another teaspoon milk to achieve desired consistency.) Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip or to a squeeze bottle. Pipe a cross onto each scone.